Friday, November 03, 2006

Korean Airport

Made it to S. Korea so far. Some of you were wondering whether my flight path would go across the Atlantic or the Pacific. Well, after we took off the pilot mentioned something about passing over Niagra Falls, so I figured then we weren't going to be heading the Atlantic route. The plane flew up from DC to Canada, over a very icy area near Siberia, down through Russia, through China, and into Seoul. Looking down from the plane and seeing sheets of solid ice for miles was like nothing I've ever seen before. There were cracks in the ice and the terrain reminded me of something out of Frankenstein where the doctor is sleding around in the middle of nowhere (some of you know what I'm talking about, right?). Here's what it looked like on the left.

It was also kind of disconcerting when I looked at the real-time flight map and saw our plane flying close to Pyongyang. No, Kim Jong Il as not outside greeting me as we landed, though he did give me a shout out in this shot I took as he was driving away.

All in all the food on the plane was good. I opted to have the beef for dinner as when I asked the flight attendent what the other dish was I still had no clue what she was talking about...I played it safe this time.

Also I watched a Korean documentary on how formented food is good for your and can help you lose weight. I think I'd be skinny too if someone cut off a slice of 5-year-old raw pigs leg and handed it to me.

That's all for now. I still have a 5 hour flight to Bangkok and then it's on to finding a place to sleep for the night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you made it safely to Seoul, Mike. In future postings, note if the photo is one you took or "file footage." Did you take the one of the ice?

Matt

Anonymous said...

Give a shout out to Li'l Kim for me!

Mike said...

Matt,

Both pictures are "file footage". I didn't want to get in trouble for taking pictures in an airplane...but that's a good point.

The picture of the ice is not mine, but that's what it looked like...it was amazing.